Sunday, January 4, 2009

Final day's troubles - 2

At the previous time, I wrote about my first trouble when I was leaving New York. This is the second trouble at that time.

I had to change from the “A” line of subway to the “Air Train” at Howard Beach station for JFK. I got on the “A” train. However, when this train arrived at Jay Street station, the announcement in the train said something. At first, I couldn’t understand this, but I could guess this announcement said that this train couldn’t go ahead any more and all passengers had to get off this train.

I got off the train and I was going to the ticket gate with anxiety. The station’s staffs gave transfer thickets to passengers there, so I asked one of them “I wanna go to JFK. I need to go to Howard Beach station!” She said “You have to get on shuttle bus, and take on the train again”. I took the transfer ticket and went up from the station to the bus stop.

I carried tow small bags and one suitcase. I was afraid of this situation, because this was not Manhattan. This was Brookline. I wasn’t familiar with this place, and I heard that this place was more danger than Manhattan for tourists like me that carried many luggage.

I found a shuttle bus on the road, and I asked the driver “I wanna go to Howard Beach. Is this bus OK?” He said “Yeah. But not express.” with grinning. I asked “Which station will this go to?” He said “Utica.” I thought that we had to get on this bus and took on the “A” line at Utica station again if we wanted to go beyond Utica station. Howard Beach is beyond Utica station. I thought I should get on a taxi here, but of course it is difficulty to catch a taxi on the street of Brookline. I couldn’t help but get on this bus.

Actually, this bus was going slowly. I realized what is his grinning when I asked him. I got upset, but I couldn’t have any good way else. I think that I should have gone back to Manhattan and took a taxi, but I couldn’t find this way at this time.

The bus arrived at Utica station. I was hurry to go down to the platform of subway, and I took on the first “A” train. After a short while being on this train, I realized that any tourists didn’t get on this train. I was afraid that I took another wrong train. Then I asked an old man “Excuse me, sir. Is this train going to Howard Beach station?” He said something, but honestly I couldn’t understand all what he said at first, but I catch he said that “A” line has two terminal stations, but he didn’t know this train was wrong or not, and if I had a wrong train, I had to change another train at Rockaway blvd station. He said that he would get off Rockaway blvd station, and when he got off he could confirm this train’s destination and he told me that. We got off there and he told me that this train was wrong, and maybe the next train went for Howard Beach. I apologized to him, and then I spent some minutes for waiting for the next train. I felt these minutes being very very long.

Fortunately, I arrived at JFK at 11:20 a.m. I could on time check in my plane that would departure at 12 o’clock, but I couldn’t buy any souvenir at the airport.

No comments: